Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gluten Free Pancakes

   Last week a long time customer named Catherine was in the restaurant and said to me "Maria , I have een coming to flapjacks for a long time and never noticed that you have gluten free pancakes, I can't wait to tell my daughter because she has celiac disease"
   Celiac disease for thoses who do not know , is a  digestive disorder tha t damages the small intestines and interfears with the absorption of the nutrients from food. People who have this disease can not tolerate any gluten products which is foulnd in flour.When they do eat qluten products their reactions could be bloating, diarrhea, cramping, vomiting and in some cases the reation can be very severe.Now that I am aware of this proplen I can not beclive how many prople are affected by this rapidly growing disease.
  Getting back to Catherine's conversation I told her that I had had a family come into Flapjacks in the month of February. The family were enjoying pancakes, everyone that is except for the father.He could only watch and wish he could taste the delicious pancakes. I later had a conversation with Steve and he asked me if I would concider selling pancakes that did not contain any gluten, so  that he and others like him could be included in this breakfast treat.I told him I would do my best to include a gluten free product into the menu. Well after 3 weeks of testing recipies I finally created a recipe that I was pleased with.
They are not as fluffy as our regular pancakes , it's the gluten that makes them light and airy, but the taste is great, and we can make then plain or flavored.
Our  gluten free customers who  have tried these pancakes are thrilled.  Not only do they love the taste , but they are so happy that someone cared enough to concieder thier dietary restricitons... As a restaurant owner it is very important to me that everyone should be able to enjoy their breakfast experience.It's no problem will make the extra effert to make everyone happy.
  Tell your family and friends that there is this tiny little restauant in Caledon that really does care and they can come into FLAPJACKS and enjoy some great PANCAKES!!!http://www.flapjacksrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me your comments!